The Applied Digital Photography course is an advanced module, which deals with the advanced practical application of photographic principles across various photographic genres including: Photojournalism, Product Photography, Fashion Photography, Wedding Photography and many more.
The course furthermore aims to add high quality images to the student's portfolio.
• 16 sessions of +-2 hours per session
• To ensure that you master the course material, you will be required to complete various assignments.
• Assignments are marked and returned to students with feedback.
• Assignments are evaluated and a Proficiency Certificate is awarded if a pass mark of 75% is achieved.
After successful completion of the course, a student is expected to be able to:
• Demonstrate proficiency in the photographic genres dealt with.
• Follow a photographic brief.
• Tell a story with photographs.
• Carry out a wide range of photographic work by employing the correct technical approach for each.
• The course fee per person is R 11 120 (if all fees are settled before course commencement).
• Terms are available at a surcharge.
• The full course fee can be paid on registration, or installments can be arranged.
• The full course fee has to be settled before the course is completed.
• A deposit of R 4 000 is payable on enrollment.
• The installment amount and number of installments is calculated based on the time required to complete the course.
PHOTOGRAPHY EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
• This is an intermediate course and it is required that you already know how to use a Digital SLR camera in the manual mode, how to use an external flash and studio lights.
• The course furthermore assumes that you already know how to carry out basic post production work to images using Adobe Photoshop CC. Alternatively, be enrolled for the course with the Photoshop course at the Academy.
• If you are not sure whether your level of proficiency is adequate, please contact us.
• The course is presented in English and students are required to have a good command of the language to engage in classes.
• Basic computer literacy is required.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE COURSE
• Any brand of Digital SLR camera with an 18-55mm lens as a minimum requirement.
• An additional lens to cover a focal range of 55-200mm will be an advantage.
Studio lighting kit (preferably 3 heads with a range diffusion options). Flash meter and grey card • A tripod is necessary to use for assignments and during some of the practical training sessions.
• Adobe Photoshop CC is required (you can download a free trial version from adobe.com to use during the course before you decide to purchase).
• A notebook computer to use in class.
Contact us for specialist advice about purchasing the required equipment for the course.
Click on the blue buttons under the "COURSE DATES & ENROLLMENT" section.
You can visit us at the Academy - it's best arrange an appointment to ensure that a consultant is available.
"Thank you for a stunning experience! It is probably the best thing I have done for my creative soul in all my adult life."
Louise Halgryn "Working within a time frame, small groups, teaching us consistency and accurate information makes it a great course!"
Applied Digital Photography
16 sessions of +-2/3 hours each
R 11 120
Course Dates & Enrollment
Full Time Courses
Full Time Classes are attended on week days. The duration of classes are +-2/3 hours depending on the subject matter.
Click on the starting date below to enrol:
Part Time Courses
Part Time Classes are attended on Saturdays and/or evenings. The duration of classes are +-2/3 hours depending on the subject matter.
Click on the starting date below to enrol:
The course covers the following topics:
- Event Photography & covering an event
- Product Photography
- Fashion Photography
- Wedding Photography
- Model portfolios & portrait Photography
- Shoot an advertisement
- Abstract Photography
Image Editing Syllabus
Photo Editing using Adobe Lightroom
3 TRAINING SESSIONS
Aspects are covered during three classroom sessions:
- Understanding the Histogram.
- Sharpening and cropping images.
- White balance.
- Sharpening and noise reduction.
- Spot removal.
- Highlight and shadow recovery.
- Image adjustments using the tone curve.
- Enhance image colours and other adjustments.
- Making high contrast black & white images.
- Preparing images for print.